Sunday 10 April 2011

First Assignment

2. Imagery:
Definition: Ability to form mental image or things.
Example: Let us go then, you and I, 
When the evening is spread out against the sky 
Like a patient etherised upon a table; 
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets, 
The muttering retreats 
Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels 
And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells
Significance: Imagery can make you have more ideas to write your poem.

3. Stanza:

Definition: Many lines of words make a poem.
Example: Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Significance: Stanza divides into many groups which make the reader understand more about the poem.

4. Metaphor:
Definition: Word to describe someone or something without say it straight.
Example:                                                           On the wall,
there is a shadow
of a branch outside.

It moves and it is dancing.

It writes its story
and the ink
is living light.

Significance: Metaphor can make the reader think what the poem is trying to say, make reader think really hard.

5. Extended metaphor:
Definition: Metaphor that been extended by poem ( right poem using metaphor)
Example: Your parents is like high mountains and ocean to you.
Significance: Extended metaphor can make the poem is more interesting and readers think it's cooler.

6. Simile:
Definition: You compare one thing with another thing.
Example: Lazy boy sleep too much just like a sloth.
Significance: Simile can make readers understand easily by comparing.

7. Interpretation:
Definition: To explain something that is not obvious.
Example: Now for the long years when I could not love you,
I bring in recompense this gift of yearning-
A luminous vase uplifted to the sun,
Blue with the shadows of near-twilight.
Here in its full round symmetry of darkness,
Burning with swift curved flashes bright as tears,
I lift it to the lonely lips that knew
Its slow creation, and thw wheel of sorrow turning.
Take it with hands like faded petals,
White as the moonlight of our garden;
And for the long years when I could not love you
Drink from its amber-coloured night.

Significance: To explain what you trying to say in you writing or poem.

8. Tone
Definition: The quality of something (art, poem, song)
Example: There's a patch of old snow in a corner,

That I should have guessed




Was a blow-away paper the rain




Had brought to rest.




 




It is specked with grime as if




Small print overspread it.




The news of a day I've forgotten --




If I ever read it.



Significance: Poem need tones to make reader can get more interesting.

9. Speaker:
Definition: The person who express feeling by speaking.
Example:Don't listen to me; my heart's been broken.
I don't see anything objectively.

I know myself; I've learned to hear like a psychiatrist.
When I speak passionately,
That's when I'm least to be trusted.

It's very sad, really: all my life I've been praised
For my intelligence, my powers of language, of insight-
In the end they're wasted-

I never see myself.
Standing on the front steps. Holding my sisters hand.
That's why I can't account
For the bruises on her arm where the sleeve ends . . .

In my own mind, I'm invisible: that's why I'm dangerous.
People like me, who seem selfless.
We're the cripples, the liars:
We're the ones who should be factored out
In the interest of truth.

When I'm quiet, that's when the truth emerges.
A clear sky, the clouds like white fibers.
Underneath, a little gray house. The azaleas
Red and bright pink.

If you want the truth, you have to close yourself
To the older sister, block her out:
When I living thing is hurt like that
In its deepest workings,
All function is altered.

That's why I'm not to be trusted.
Because a wound to the heart
Is also a wound to the mind. 

Significance: You need a person to read out loud about the poem so it's more interesting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment